House-warming or was it ?

My sis found a 'new-place' in b'lore, so the consequence was me being invited to the 'house-warming'. Well, lil' did I realise that she had planned things before-hand for me even before I was there. I reach b'lore on a Saturday morning after a tiring 8 hour bus journey. As soon as reach my sisters', 'Ah! we've been waiting for u! we've got work to do'

She did add b'lore traffic to her planning, but still forgot the 'rains'. So, that compounded the equation pretty badly. A 6 km travel from the old house to the new-house always took an hour, one way :-) Even worse, there were diversions here and there.

We had to purchase a lot of things for the ceremony. We then go back home only for my BIL to say that their new car was getting delivered in 30 mins time. Well well! 18h30 evening traffic. We go there only for the guy to tell us that certain docs are missing. Thank you, Mr.Murphy!

Its 21h00 in the evening. We are all dead hungry. The purohit calls to say that he has to arrange a few things in the house for the early morning pooja. So, two of us to pick him up (15 kms from there) while my BIL stays back to get the vehicle delivered. By the time, we reach the new place, its 21h00!. Dead hungry!

The purohit then says that we cannot eat until the pooja is over. What pooja? He never told us about one the day before the actual pooja. Well, we then learnt that this is the way it happens in Kannadiga customs. As we had to wait for the head of the family (my BIL) to start the pooja, our hunger got the better of us.

Well.. the pooja started at 23h00 and ended at 24h00. As my sis and BIL were made to repeat the slokas by the purohit, I just couldn't stop laughing - honestly, we were absolutely not in any position to do anything at all - tired, sleepy and hungry!

At 24h00 they leave only to ask us to be back at 02h30 for the actual pooja!!!!! Well well.. the rest is history! House warming is normally a 'warm' ceremony to drive out the evil-spirts out of the house, but lil' did we know that we had to have such a 'fighting' spirit to overcome this event :-)

So, the next time someone calls me for 'house-warming' in b'lore - I'll have to think twice, I suppose :p :p