Faint, France and the French

It was a normal day, like any other day in mid-Sep '04 @ work at F'bleau. I was a happy man whiling away time in front of my computer ( read as "working"). Two of my colleagues( ch*******_bits & a***_mi), in adjacent cubicles, were "working" as well.

I was off for a few mins to the town hall to get some paperwork done. I am there ...Et voila :
call from ch*******_bits : Man, a***_mi has fainted!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me : WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTT ?

Alarmed, ch*******_bits calls up the emergency and a***_mi is taken to the Fontainbleau Hospital. I rush to the hospital too.

Since the "patient" was already with the doc, I had to give in the details. Also, there is a gross misconception here amongst the BITSian group that I do speak a bit of french and so, I am the one thats always pulled up for such formalities :-((
It all started well with the receptionist.The receptionist asks me in french as to whom I am registering for .


Me : C'est une fille (Its a girl)

As i say that, ch*******_bits asks me something and I start talking:

Receptionist : C'est votre fille?? ( Its "your" girl?", meaning "its YOUR daughter??")..

I just nod without realising what she asked. I give her the name, address, etc.

Receptionist : Date de naissance ( DOB)??

I start blinking.

Receptionist : (Now that scornful look from her) Its your daughter and u do NOT know her DOB :-((( ( she howls at me in french, all of which I "understand" very well)...

As she howls, the "fainted" one ( three years younger to me) comes in and gives her DOB. After seeing my just-three-years-younger-to-me-daughter, the receptionist faints :-)

And how I used to appreciate those "subtle" nuances in languages :-)